Recipes

Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Superpower of Syrup



      I truly don't think you know the true power of syrup until you have children.  Husbands are a great start and I love mine dearly, but he only slightly opened my eyes to how syrup ends up everywhere.  From the not letting the syrup finishing dripping close the lid technique or the tip it up before its done pouring, I thought I had truly seen everything.  Somewhere between having two small children and a husband, and of course myself at times, I have truly come to appreciate the super power of how truly sticky syrup can be.  A few months ago I let my daughter have syrup on her waffles, she is 2 and it always ends up in the surrounding areas of her seat before she is done.  Now add in my 5 month old son at the time who is contained to his high chair and may I remind you my daughter is contained to her booster seat.  Somehow with the many feet between them she gets syrup on him, and this is where the truly amazing thing happens with syrup and children - it ends up everywhere!  From the few droplets you let on your child's plate it transfers/hops/flies, I'm not exactly sure how syrup travels, from the plate to the child to the table, flies to my son to his hair to the tray to his hands, leaps to my forearm the kitchen island the counter behind the island and about 10 other places before I believe I have it all cleaned up.  Who knows, there is probably still a trail of it somewhere and we have had many waffles since then so I am sure our house is a sticky mess, but you have to sit back and laugh in amazement at how a simple breakfast add in kids and syrup equals wipe downs of them, you, the kitchen and of the course the dishes.  I don't want  to and I don't want you to be a Martha when someone comes to visit, to busy cleaning, instead of taking time to see Jesus.  We were given these children as blessings, who cares about a little syrup on the floor or wherever, you were making memories! So when you come to visit, please don't feel alarmed when you step in something sticky just know the superpower of syrup came to visit and left us with smiles and laughs.



38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  Luke 10:38-42
.

No comments:

Post a Comment