Recipes

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Do I have technology or does technology have me?



Hello out there in cyber world!! I feel like I need to drastically call to attention something that is happening all around us!  Something that seems to be blinding to us!! We ALL are addicted to our phones, computers, technology in general!

Now please don't get upset with me, I have the same problem, and I was trying to figure out why I even noticed it because it has come so much a part of what we see that we have become immune to it.  The answer, I was suffering from withdrawal.  My son's first  birthday was on the weekend and it had finally gotten nice enough to go outside, so throughout the week every moment I was either cleaning and preparing or outside with the kids.  I did not have any time to lose so I did not check all my wonderful technology addictions.  

The weekend came for my son's birthday and of course there seemed to be about a million other things planned that week.  First, I had a bridal shower for a dear friend's younger sister.  I walk into the room and realize I know a few people my age, but most of the people I know are older so I sit with a friend's mother.  No problem, we are chatting away having great conversation when I look around, all I see is a sea of phone screens.  I would say about a third of adults 35ish and over are on their phone and pretty much every single person under 35 is on their phone.  They are sitting at a table together, but they are not talking to each other in real life, just through their little cyber world.  REALLY?!  I wanted to go around and introduce each of them to each other.  After I got over the shock.  I have to admit though, when I saw the first person checking their phone I thought I needed to check mine.  And why do we do that?  We see someone else doing it and then we think we need to do it and then we are sucked in.  I left the bridal shower convicted about how many times I check my phone for no reason and miss out on all the important things and people, but also sad for these people because they are missing what true communication and relationships are all about.

Later that night, I went to see the Newsboys, with my husband's  family and my mother-in-law always gets awesome seats, 3rd row from the front.  Just a little woot-woot!   I wasn't thinking about the cell phone thing during this time just having a blast with my little girl, but then something caught my eye, the glow of a cell phone!  I looked around and people are on their cell phone, at a concert!!!  I don't know about you but I go to a concert to actually see the people life size, and dance, and have a fun, not to see them through a small cell phone screen.  Please do not get me wrong, I took a few pictures at the concert, posted them to instagram and facebook of my daughter and I, but then I put it away.  I do not care if you take pictures or videos or whatever you want to do, but try not to get sucked into cell phone that you miss what is going on.

I am not trying to upset anyone, but I just want to bring to light something that I have felt very convicted of lately.  
-You do not need to have your cell phone in your hands 24/7.  You are missing out on your life and those around you.  
-You do not need to text constantly.  Texting is wonderful but when that is all you do and you can not put you phone down and have a good time, you are missing out on your life.  Save something to tell someone later so you can see how excited they are and actually have a conversation with them.
-You do not need to check facebook, twitter, and so on constantly.  The world continues moving at a fast pace when you are looking at everyone's life and that you are really missing yours.

So I beg of you, please put down your computer, your phone, your tablet and enjoy life and those around you!  I keep thinking back to all the great memories I had with my family and friends growing up, we were excited to tell each other things, to see each other, to talk with each other, and to have a relationship.  I do not want my kids growing up remembering me staring at my phone or computer.  I want them to have great memories and know that they were the most important thing to me!  Technology is a blessing, and I enjoy all the social media keeping up with friends, but when technology has us instead of us having technology there is something wrong and we need to hit the reset.  So I pray that you will take the time to step back every few minutes and look at the other blessings that are standing right around you!

Matthew 6:19-21

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment